Thursday, July 14, 2016

Mouthy Lil Buggers

The last of the bad news for this breeding season is...Frenchie didn't take the 2nd time around either. I just had a feeling she wouldn't, plus, I noticed she had her tail up and was nickering to the geldings across the way a couple days before her ultrasound, so I wasn't surprised when he said, No baby.  I don't know what the hell went wrong with this vet, but he sure didn't get the job done.

You can bet he will NEVER, EVER breed another mare for me. I think he was expecting shit to hit the fan because he had a very worried look on his face, but I was just so disgusted that I loaded Frenchie up, got in my truck and drove away without saying a word. There was nothing left to say. He made a pretty penny off of me this year and I have absolutely nothing to show for it.

I have no doubt that Scamper will have no problem settling in Utah and if that is the case, I very well may ask him 1/2 of my money back because that means the problem is NOT my mares...or 'bad luck'...It means he did a shit job on his end.

I'm getting a little tired of these vets constantly whining about how their clientele doesn't appreciate them and yet when they fail on their end, they still have their hand out. Pretty damn easy for them to just shrug and say, 'Well, that's just how it goes sometimes.'.

So that is my last little rant about that. A person can only be so mad for so long. I just know that next year, whatever it takes...I WILL be hauling my mares TO the stallion.

I have to say...I am having horrible seller's remorse over my little golden boy, Hawk. He is just too damn adorable for words. I am trying hard to keep myself emotionally distanced from him, but it's impossible not to love this face...

From the first moment I laid eyes on his little golden form, I could tell that this one is as self-assured as they come. From the git-go he has been ornery to his momma too. Sassy won't be sorry to see the last of this little Satan's Spawn.



He just has to have his mouth on something...all.the.time. LOL. That's pretty natural for babies though. They are just like little kids...they explore their world though touch. As mouthy as he is, Hawk is not the biter that Ruger was when he was this age. Hawk just likes to touch and taste. He's never actually bitten me, whereas I had to keep a weather eye on Ruger, cause he was quick to bite down.

Ruger still likes to use his mouth on things...




It took me a little bit to figure out where Ruger came up with the 2x4 from, but finally figured out that it was the one that I had bracing up that leaning post in front of Flashy. It was on the outside of the fence. Ruger was happily just picking it up and dragging it around and then tossing it. LOL. When he saw me standing there watching him, he started throwing it at me. Silly boy!!

No, as sad as I will be to see my golden Hawk go this fall, I cannot re-nig on the deal I made and it will be the best for him in the long run. I would probably get frustrated dealing with a young stallion and geld him and I know his new owner won't. I reserved lifetime breedings to Hawk as part of his sale price, so before I know it...I will be raising little Hawk babies. :-D. With any luck, within a couple years, Sassy will give me a golden GIRL by Firewater Fooler and you can bet that little lady won't be for sale at any price!! ;-).

3 comments:

Mrs. Huckleberry said...

Well shit. I've been lurking your blog for months now, starting from the beginning. It was so fun to see how the babies grow up. Hawk is so effing cute. I don't know that I'd be able to give him up.

TeresaA said...

Hawk is adorable!

I would be annoyed as well. One mare maybe but all of them? shit.

Shirley said...

Haha Rio was one of those colts that everything went in the mouth.
Hope we get Hawk updates once he leaves your place!
I sure prefer live cover rather than paying vets. I have to pay vet charges on Coyote Belle's breeding this year. :0(