Friday, October 21, 2016

Daily Journal Day 4

Day 3 was errand day in town. Usually it doesn't take me a whole day, but since I haven't been in a couple of weeks, I had a long list. Bleh!

Day 4 was hauling hay day. No better feeling than stocking up for winter. Having to restrain myself somewhat, hay prices are a.w.e.s.o.m.e. this year and I am scooping up hella-good deals!! So good in fact that I am considering buying a few hundred small bales to take to Arizona instead of buying hay down there.

Back to the ponies tomorrow!!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Daily Journal 2

Shooter graduated to drive lines. That helped him tremendously traveling to the right. He was landing much squarer at the trot and picked up his right hind lead without humping and hopping into it. I guess he was tipping that hip out more than it looked like on the lunge line. He is showing some crabbiness when being saddled, so I know that he is sore. I am keeping his work time to 15-20 minutes or so. Just enough that he has to work all three gaits in both directions. Now that he is back in drive lines, I can really get to work getting him squared up under himself again and begin reconditioning his muscles. All I can do is keep working with him and hopefully as he gets squared up and stronger over his topline, his leg won't continue to be so sore. I definitely need to look into some laser or P3 treatments for him though, as those will help the circulation and relieve inflammation.

The Big Bay got saddled and lunged. He was traveling in a more controlled manner. Right stifle is definitely bothering him. Will schedule him for right side stifle and hock injections.

Saddled Twister and lunged him. No ride.

My body is screaming. Three days of bareback riding and I cannot hardly move today. My legs are like jello. A hot bath with epsom salts is in order!!

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The Daily Journal Begins

I'm not exactly sure where the last 3 months went to, but summer is gone and lord have mercy...I actually have time to work horses.

Those few people that still read blogs will have to forgive me for turning mine into somewhat of a daily journal. I am working horses back into the rotation, without a whole lot of thought and I mostly just want to keep track of what's what until I regain some semblance of a plan.

Shooter is at day 5 and was the first one to return to a regular routine. Mostly because I noticed that he was 'high-stepping' with his injured back leg in the mornings. I suspect that the cooler nights cause some discomfort in that leg due to poor circulation. I got him up and started using a BOT boot on that leg overnight, which seems to greatly help. I figured as long as he has to come in, might as well start working him. He remembered his lunging pretty well. He travels square at a walk, slow trot and lope, going to the left. Going to the right, he is square at the walk, travels off kilter at the trot and breaks into a buck every time he is asked to pick up a lope on the correct hind lead. Compensation soreness in that right hip has bothered him before. Began adding BOT sheet at nights as well. That seems to be relieving some of the soreness and while he still wants to hump and sort of leap into that lead, he is better.

Moon is at day 3 and I am basically just jumping on him bareback and loping him to build up wind. He is a bit tubbier than normal, but has been on pasture and had free movement all this time, so is not horribly out of shape. He feels strong. I am letting him determine how long he is able to lope before losing his air and not forcing him to keep going when he choses to drop out of a lope and start walking. I have learned to give Moon credit for knowing when to say when.

The Big Bay is on day 2 and it was like starting from scratch with him. P-sycho spooky again!! He travels fine to the left on the lunge line. Off kilter to the right and keeps kicking his hip out and refusing to take the right hind lead. Does not seem 'off' in his stifle though, so will work with him awhile before determining if he needs his injections re-upped. Will begin keeping him in as well and using a BOT sheet on him to help loosen up his hips.

Day 1 on Twister (the Canadian horse), saddled fine. Got a little humpy on the lunge line. Scared himself. Made me laugh. He's not a bucker, just fat as a toad and feeling kinda froggy. Lunged out of it fine.