Yay 2 babies!!! they will love to play together, cant wait to see how they turn out!
We all know you've put enough effort into this, not to get anything out of it. Soo I bet you were doing the happy dance.
No, actually I am even more pissed off!! LOL. For the amount of money I blew on that stupid vet and shipped semen this year alone, I could...and should have...hauled every one of my mares their respective stallions and gotten them bred. And actually had babies coming next year. But, oh noooo...I deferred to the 'professionals' these last 2 years and they have cost me tremendously. Can't forget that last year the damn vet didn't listen to a word I said about the gray mare and now both her, the stallion I wanted to breed to AND that paid for breeding are all gone. So add another $3k to my losses. I won't be using any of the local vets for breeding again, I can tell you that!!
It seems that the melanomas in the grey mares birth canal should have been caught and figured out long before all of the drama with time, energy and money spent breeding her to find out there was no chance of a foal ever happening. It would have been nice knowing that before you had started. I can totally understand your frustration there. I meant that you must have been doing the happy dance that at least you will be having one foal on the ground next year and it isn't a total wash.
The gray mare did not have internal melanomas last year when she was bred. She conceived with no problem last year, however she absorbed the embryo after the 14-day ultrasound. Most likely due to a low progesterone level. Which we would have known she had IF the vet last year would have pulled blood on her and checked, like I had asked him to do when I dropped the mare off to be bred. I didn't know about the progesterone thing last year, but I did know that the mare's health was fragile and if the vet had just done a routine blood work up, like I asked him to do, we would have known and that embryo would have survived. This year, she had the internal melanomas and they were discovered in her first palpitation and ultrasound, so there was no sense breeding her, she wouldn't have been able to deliver the foal, even if she carried it to term. The unanswerable question is whether the internal melanomas would have developed even if she would have carried last year's pregnancy to term. If they would have developed during the pregnancy, she wouldn't have been able to deliver the foal she was supposed to have this year either and the result would have been, at best, an orphan foal. Mares almost never survive c-sections. I have avoided gray mares my whole life due to the whole melanoma thing. I took a chance on an old, foundered, gray mare and I lost. Partly because I knew I had limited time to get a foal out of her and partly because the repro vets around here suck ass!!
So glad that you'll have at least one foal for yourself!
Gah!! How have you not gone and torn a strip off that damn local vet? Glad to hear bay mare is in foal and Sassy's baby will have a pal.
I hear you on vet costs- I just paid over $900 (just vet fees) to have Coyote Belle bred to Dun It OK and she came up empty. I could have told them not to lutalise her, to catch her on her foal heat or wait for her month heat but they all have a program they want to follow. I have zero success with artificially bringing a mare into heat. The upside is- I had him kick her in with Rollin in My Dually for pasture breeding. I'd rather have a July foal than no foal, and I have a sale already for a foal from that cross.
Post a Comment