Thursday, October 24, 2013

Schooling

I finally got around to getting my arena area worked up, as well as the old riding area. That meant I could finally set up my new-to-me round pen. I knew I got a deal on the neighbor's round pen, but I didn't realize just how good of a deal it was until I went and got the panels. It's an 80' round pen with 6' tall panels. YESsssss!!! I love having tall panels to start colts in.

I only set up a 60' round pen for now. That is plenty big for everyone to comfortably lope in and yet I don't have to run myself ragged when working a horse.

Little Miss Belle got her first lesson in round penning today...
 I'm thankful that my oldest brother got her halterbroke and pretty gentle for me. She is also good about her feet and I trimmed her fronts with no problem after working her. The one issue she does have is she is pretty adamant about turning her butt to you when you go to catch her and I get the distinct feeling that she would really like to double barrel a person if she could. I've spend a little time with her in her pen every day working on getting her to at least look at me while I walk up to pet her. She's getting it, but she is pretty defensive. My brother mentioned something about mom and her 'damn' buggy whip and I have a feeling that my mom was pretty quick to whip Belle's butt and that is why she is so defensive. I'm soooo glad to have my youngsters out of there!!!

It took awhile before Belle got the idea that the only acceptable way to turn in the round pen (when I was in there with her) was into the center, but once she figured it out, she did it every time...
She's wants to be a little sweetheart, but I'm not gonna lie...She's got some 'tude as well. Part of it might be that she is in raging heat at the moment. Heaven help a 2y/o filly in heat. They don't know if they are coming or going, okay or pissed off at the world. LOL. I know one thing though...These pictures don't reflect it...but this little filly is drop-dead gorgeous. She's not the powerhouse that Beretta is, but she is downright catty. She can stick that butt in the ground and change direction in the blink of an eye. It's just effortless for her and she's so fluid moving. I don't know if I have a future barrel horse or not, but I dang sure have a reining and/or working cowhorse prospect. Yayy!!

3 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I like them to face up too, I don't mind seeing the but if it is in deference to me, but when they are "flipping me off" I want to see those ends swap and NOW.I dont whip unless I have no choice but I do use it as an extension or my arm if need be, sounds like your mom was a bit more aggressive Looks like a great working pen.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I think my mom has just gotten to the point where she is scared of this young stuff. Last year after I had dropped Gunner and Beretta off, she complained that she couldn't get them to do anything for her. I was like, 'What the heck?'. Come to find out, she was irritated because she couldn't drive them through the gates when she changed horses around. I laughed and laughed. I told her, 'That is because they are used to being HALTERED and LED places, not driven like cattle.'...Oh she was mad at me. I laughed some more.

Ashley Bergen said...

She's a beauty! I like my round pens tall too. My filly turned in a couple time, I use Clinton Anderson's stick and string, and every time she turns in I smack her on the butt.