Tuesday, January 15, 2013

White Lightening

White Lightening is one of the many Frank Lampley products I use...

Frank Lampley Horse Products  (The White Lightening is toward the bottom of the page)

It's designed to be used for trauma, colic, extreme stress and cases of poisoning, including venomous snakebites. Personally, I have had 100% success rate with it bringing a horse quickly out of a colicky episode. My mom is the first person to start using it years ago when she had a mare that just kept colicing. It was the only thing that brought the mare out of it. In hind-sight, the mare probably suffered from some severe ulcers from an extended use of bute. That mare was my brother's #1 roping mare, but suffered from bursitis of the shoulder. The vet's recommended keeping her on a low dose of bute when she was in use. Back then, that was all there was for arthritis and no one knew just how damaging it was. It took a full year to bring the mare around, but eventually she did come out of it and almost a decade later is an exceptionally healthy 22y/o...

We've also successfully used it for performance day stress, rattlesnake bites (on horses and a dog) and on a mare that had a bad foaling. I've dosed horses at barrel races and brought them out of episodes of colic and tying up. Although, I will say, a couple of times, the owners didn't wait for the WL to work...as soon as they could get their hands on some banamine, they used it...and of course, those are the 2 people who don't believe it works. LOL...Not everyone believes in that 'holistic mumbo-jumbo'.

There was one time that I didn't think it worked...I tried it on Moon, back when he was getting radical at the gate (before I discovered his ulcer situation) and it didn't calm him down. He went in and ran like a freight-train. Uummm...After I got Moon's ulcers fixed, he has has run like that every since....so I guess it did work. I was expecting it to relax him like it has on everything else. I guess when Moon's 'relaxed' he just runs harder and faster. LOL

To answer CutNJump's question...Yes, you can add a dab of water to the powder to make a paste, which does make administering it somewhat easier. According to directions though, it's most quickly absorbed if applied directly to the tongue, so if you wanted to use a syringe, you'd have to get one with a wide nozzle and still apply the paste to the tongue, not up the side of the mouth like you would with wormer or something like that.

And unfortunately, I do not know if these products can be shipped to Canada. I know Lisa (CdnCowgirl) looked into Lampley's stuff some years back, but am not sure if she was ever able to get products shipped to her.

Ohhh...And CutNJump...I know you guys are suffering from abnormally low temps...But I would LOVE to see temps in the 20-30's. LOL...Our HIGHS for this last week have barely been into the double digits. We got up to 14*F the other day and it felt like a heat-wave. LOL. The warmest it's been at night was 0*F, but it's been as cold as -22*F (at my house). There was a recorded -18*F at the Airport, which broke a record set in 1907. It's all relative though....I seem to have gotten used to this frigid weather and yesterday I rode with my coat unzipped and no gloves. It was 9*F. :-D.

News on Frosty...He seems to have turned the corner and is coming out of his funk. His eyes are bright, his expression is normal again and he is back to licking the bottom out of his food pan. Yesterday we made 3 trips around the 20-acre field instead of just 2 and even loped some.





7 comments:

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

And I forgot to answer Cindy D's question...We are in the process of buying some property down there so we have a place I can winter rodeo out of and the hubby plans on bringing down some of his toys (the motorized kind) so when he gets days off, he can drive or fly down and enjoy doing his thing. I'm hoping it is going to pay off to hit the winter rodeos...that will kind of determine how much time I spend there.

Cut-N-Jump said...

Looking forward to you getting here and being able to ride with you some.

And our cold snap seems to be on the way out. They are calling for lows of 40, 45 & 42 the rest of the week and highs in the upper 60's to 70. Pack your shorts & flip flops!

Cut-N-Jump said...

Oh and the adding water part- that's why I figured a wormer tube would be a better bet instead of a syringe. I hope they continue making the WL. Sounds like something good! And we all know, when you find something you like and that actually works- they stop making it.

Shirley said...

I'd have to find out if I can bring these products across the border, I'm only 6 miles from the border and there is a shipping outlet there.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

sounds like great stuff to have. Shirley let us know if you can get it please

Crystal said...

Oh glad he is getting better, scary! I am lucky and have never had a colic (fingers crossed) but sounds like good stuff, hope we can get some up here.

Danielle Michelle said...

Going to try it. It's been cold here too - coldest in the state I guess. I can't ride at all - everyone has such horrible ice balls on their feet and I figure if I take anyone out I'm asking for a disaster.

Colicky here too. I think it was the cold with my Charlie. He was pretty lackluster for a few days. I think I caught him pretty quick. Was up at 5 am and laying down groaning at 7:30 but pooped right away when I walked to him to get him up. Gave him a shot of banamine and threw a blanket on him for a few days (when we weren't getting above 5 degrees. Looks good now but isn't keeping his weight well. He always gets sensitive the bugger!