Sunday, January 27, 2013

Kicking It Off

The first run of the season is out of the way...

And it wasn't terrible. Not a winning run though.

It started raining in AZ on Friday...and it hasn't stopped. I called the GCPRA office to find out what kind of pens and hook-ups were available in Lake Havasu City and they said, 'There is none.'

Soooo...rather than drive up the night before, I just got up and loaded horses at 3am to make morning slack. It rained the whole way there...rained the whole time I was there...and then really started pouring when I was leaving. The arena was over the fetlock deep mud and sloppy. Moon acted like it was his first time to town...He was spooking, blowing and snorting at everything...and he was getting really pissed off about the rain. I was soaked and he was soaked. It must have been dripping down into his ears because he was shaking his head and getting madder by the minute. The only thing on his mind was getting back in his trailer. LOL

Moon didn't fire super hard to the 1st barrel and he was a little hesitant to really stride around it. We came out good and then Moon wanted to fade to the left. He really wasn't wanting to come back over but at the last second he jumped back on the correct side of the barrel. He had lost a lot of momentum though and it felt like he was walking around the barrel. Uuggghhhh! But then he took off and finished the run like he knew what he was doing.

Of course it's impossible not to be disappointed when your time is not as good as you know it could be, but to be honest...I don't blame Moon a bit for being a little over-cautious. It's his first run out in over 3 months, a brand new location and not exactly ideal conditions. Ground conditions and being soaked to the bone and cold weren't considerations because everybody was in the same boat in that respect. I tell ya though...afterward, I could hardly get Moon unsaddled and his legs rinsed off fast enough...He wanted back in his dry trailer and I wanted into some dry clothes. It was definitely one of those...we're done...let's get the heck out of here moments.

We have a couple of weeks before our next run and that will be our first WPRA rodeo. The plan was to come to AZ, make this rodeo, close on our house and then make a quick trip back to CO to gather the rest of my stuff and Jet (the big bay horse) and then come back and get settled into the new place. However, the bank is dinking around and has not completed what they need to to finish the closing. It looks like it is going to be a few more days before everything comes together. I am going to stay in AZ until the house closes and just keep working horses...

That is, if it ever stops raining. It's a good thing I didn't have plans to take my trailer anywhere in the next few days. I don't think I can get it out again until it dries up. LOL...I had hell getting it back in and actually slid off of the packed road and got my pickup stuck. Mikey comes out, looks at the mess I have created in the mud and tells me she will call a friend with a backhoe to come dig me out (talk about embarrassing). However, I just decided to unload horses so I wasn't jerking them around in the trailer and I got my rig unstuck. It was a little hairy and it got a little western...but I didn't even wreck anything, except the ditch behind Mikey's house. I have some raking to do to smooth out the ruts I created. :-o

9 comments:

Crystal said...

Yikes, figures ya move and instead of snow you get rain! I'm sure next time will be better. I gotta give it to you for going anyways, I woulda been pretty tempted to go back to bed at 3 am if I knew it was gonna get that wet.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

heck of a start to your warm season!bet it gets better fast

Unknown said...

I didn't realize that you are moving to AZ, Are you buying in the same area as Mikey, or a different one?

I can't imagine that running barrels in a Jan rain would be any fun at all.

I said this on Nuz Muz's page and I will say it again. I sure hope this isn't going to be another 1993. The moisture is nice for the desert, but sure makes everything else miserable.

Cut-N-Jump said...

Glad you made it, but I would have skipped the event and stayed home. Our ADT was cancelled. For the main reason that trucks and trailers were getting stuck in the parking area.

Cindy- I remember it poured like this in '95. From about October thru Scottsdale. I remember it well because we were showing there in it. Everythng was soaked.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

LOL...You can turn-out at rodeos, but you are still responsible for paying the entry fee and a small fine. To be honest, the thought of turning out didn't cross my mind...when you rodeo, it is what it is. Unless it's dangerous ground, then you need to decide if it's worth the risk.

Cindy-We bought in the same area as Mikey. But aren't exactly 'moving'. It's just going to be a place to winter.

kestrel said...

I like the fact that Moon was cautious, even though pissed, and did not quit you. You've done a fabulous job of developing a running brain in him. gotta laugh, neither you nor Moon has an ounce of quit in ya!

Paint Girl said...

Sorry the weather was so nasty for you guys. I deal with that every single day for 8-9 months so I know how miserable it is. It really sucks.
I am sure your next run will be better. Couple more weeks of work, hopefully much drier weather and you should be good to go!

Shirley said...

Well, you cowgirled up- both with the barrel run, and getting your truck unstuck. Not pretty, but you got'r'done!

Mikey said...

Gotta say, I was super impressed watching LT get that rig unstuck. She had the front of the trailer 2 inches off the ground, the back tires buried, front of the truck sliding into a hole... I thought it wasn't coming out. But obviously there's nothing brown eyed cowgirls can't handle :) Took her a whole 5 minutes to rock it back and forth and out. Impressive!!