Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Home Never Felt So Good

Sixteen hundred miles on the motorcycle these last few days.

Whewww....my butt is sooorrrreeeee!

It may not have been the most fun bike experience ever, but I sure loved getting away with My Honey for a bit. But it makes me appreciate being home...A LOT!

It was mostly a cold ride. Thursday, it was brutal cold, but we made it 500 miles to Elko, NV. My Honey, rough, tuff biker that he is will never admit it was cold. Me? Being the delicate, sensitive flower that I am (snort)...was frozen rigid. Fifty pounds of leather and layers and layers of clothes was not enough. Friday riding into Sparks, NV was nice and Sunday riding back to Wendover, NV/UT was nice. Monday morning it was raining and we rode right into a rain storm going into Salt Lake. After 150 miles of riding in increasingly heavy rain, My Honey pulled off and we got a room for the rest of the day. It was too dangerous to ride. This morning we rode over the last pass coming through the mountains (Soldier Pass) and got to enjoy being snowed on a bit. Thankfully, once we dropped down into the desert again, it was bearable and we roared through the last 150 miles home in moderate conditions.


Not a one, my friends!

I was bundled up like an Eskimo most of the time and counting mile markers to the next stop. Let me tell you....getting on and off the bike when you are bundled up like that is no easy feat. LOL So much for being the ultra-cool biker chick. ;-)

The highlight of the trip (besides getting to spend several days with MH) was getting to meet Funder. She braved coming to the convention center after her brutal 50 mile ride the day before and had breakfast with me. The time went way too fast. I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed visiting with her for the entire day if we hadn't had to head out. I'm sure she was glad to get to head home and hold down the couch though. I could tell she was definitely sore.

All of the animals survived in our absence, as did Meg. I had arranged everyone so that Meg was not overwhelmed with chores while we were gone, so the ponies were pretty happy to get back on their regular schedule tonight. We only had to wrangle one cat out of a tree and I think my Red Dog gained 10 lbs while I was gone. Meg rode Moon for me in my absence, but the dogs won't go with her. That really pisses her off-LMAO.

As much as I didn't really feel like getting off the bike and jumping on a horse, Moon has to be rode daily to keep his condition level up, so I took a bit of a nap and went straight to riding this evening.

Yup...I'm home and it feels gooooodddddd!


Mikey said...

Glad you're back safe and sound. What a crazy trip!! I'd be scared to ride in the rain like that.
Had to laugh that the dogs won't go with Meg. Tell her mine won't go/do anything for Wade, which pisses him off too :)
Can't wait to see what you do next!

Paint Girl said...

Sounds like my horse shows in the cold and rain, but without a sore butt! Wow, that's a lot of miles! Glad you had a good time, bad weather and all!
It is always so good to get home, I hear you there!
My dogs, especially Bailey, won't go with my OH if I am around..well, they do, but not very much! I think he gets a little mad, and he always tells Bailey that he is going to trade him in on a model that will!

Rising Rainbow said...

Geez! That's a lot of miles on the back of a bike let alone in the cold. I feel for you.

I ride bundled up like the Pillsbury Dough Boy sometimes and it's really hard to mount. I can imagine getting on a motorcycle could be tricky.

Pretty cool you got to meet Funder! You guys got to compare notes on your trips.

Mrs. Mom said...

Welcome home guys! Glad you two had some quality time together ;)

I'll give ya a call at some point today and fill ya in on stuff on this end.

Shirley said...

I'd sure rather ride a real horse than an iron horse; I once went on a week long motorcycle trip(back in my younger foolish days) and the only thing goos I can say about it is that I sure got to see a lot of country. Glad you are back safe and sound- well, almost sound!

Crystal said...

Wow thats quite a trip! Im not much of a motercycler, but neither is my hubby, so luckily I can stay away from them.

GunDiva said...

I hate riding in the cold - you're a whole lot tougher than I am :)

Glad you're home safe and sound.

in2paints said...

I am the world's most giant wimp when it comes to being cold. I can't imaging riding all that way and being cold. Sounds like a good trip either way, and I'm glad you made it back safe and sound!

Allenspark Lodge said...

Bill and I used to do a lot of cross-country motorcycle trips - pre horse days. We used to 'practice' for those 500-mile-
days a week or so before by riding a couple hours at a time. Makes a huge difference, because those bike seats are nothing like a good saddle! We traded the bike for horses when we moved to the mountains; I loved both worlds, but don't want to go back. Glad you had a good time with YH and getting to meet Funder.

Funder said...

Welcome back! I agree, getting to meet you was totally awesome! :) You know, I went home ready to collapse and I just never did - I felt better all day. Amazing.

Next time we've gotta have a day, at least.

(Do you have pictures of a certain new toy that was due to arrive?)

ACountryCowgirl said...

Glad you are back!!! I missed you:) I am glad you got to spend time with your honey though, I know time can be precious:)

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Funder-Friday! ;-)