Thursday, January 23, 2014

Ready, Set, Go

Frosty made his grand come-back as a barrel horse today and I was pretty darned happy with the big, buckskin. He made a smooth run, little wobbly between 1st and 2nd, but he did catch his lead change...

Right AT the 2nd barrel, and after he made a big move to the left and then a big move back to the right.

(I'm running Frosty to the left barrel first, so his 2nd barrel is a right hand turn.)

It's not unusual for a horse that's struggling with a lead change to almost have to throw themselves into it and I was actually pleased that he did that. It means he knows he HAS to make that lead change and is at least trying to figure out a way to make it happen, rather than just run into the turn in the wrong lead and end up floundering around the backside of the barrel trying to get regathered.

It was a good move on Frosty's part. A thinking horse's move.

He started grunting when he was coming out of the 2nd barrel and for an instant I thought, 'Oh crap, he is going to going to start bucking.', but I just relaxed my heels, let him get it figured out and he lined out.

It was a respectable 21.9 second run. I was hoping for anything under 23 seconds. So I got my wish and yet Frosty was just cruising at a speed that was comfortable for him. I was asking him for whatever he could give, but not pushing and he edged right up to the top of his comfort zone and worked the pattern. I think this time around Frosty is mentally and physically ready to put it all together and will keep coming on.

I left Moon home after his run last night, but did fill the trailer. I'm telling you, I can't help but shake my head when I walk past my own trailer and look at that motley assortment; There's Frosty...big, clunky looking Frosty, there's The Big Bay, who always looks like he is on the verge of a nervous breakdown, there's the bag of bones TB, who looks 100 years old and Shooter, who looks dumpy, out of shape and is still sporting a bandaged leg.

Ohhh Myyyy!! Sometimes it's almost too painful to comprehend what a messed up menagerie I have accumulated. LOL

I need to start taking Little John, but he has never been anywhere and this was not a good venue to start him out on. Too big, too much activity and not really a safe place to put him. I'll haul him to some smaller events where I know I can put him in a safe pen and let him get used to activity without blowing his mind. He's a doll and given a second to figure things out, seems to settle well, but it wouldn't be fair to him to expect too much at once. Set 'em up for success, not failure!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They may be a motley menagerie you've collected, but I love hearing you talk about them. They're all individuals (We're all individuals!!) and you speak about their strengths and weaknesses with a lot of respect and adoration.

This city girl is pulling for you!

Unknown said...

Go Frosty Go!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Go Frosty!

Shirley said...

Yeah but you love 'em all! Good boy, Frosty!