Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Little Money And A Lot Of Time

Look...


First ever ear-cam photo of The Big Bay!

It's finally all coming together for the big horse. All that running around, having this done and that done; farrier, chiropractor, injections...add in a few years worth of persistence and it's finally paying off.

Are we over the hump?...

Probably not by a long shot. But for the first time, I felt like the horse was at least wanting to play along  not looking for an excuse to blow a gasket just because I asked him to move around the round pen.

I kicked his sides, made him go forward and move his hips. I pulled on his head, made him go left and right and he was all good with it.


He is a handsome devil...As long as you ignore his horrible hocks. LOL.

After all of this time, I have him figured out. You can't work him in the round pen before stepping on him. He is and probably always will be uncomfortable in one, after his one time blow-up, But...

If I saddle him up and pony him beforehand...


I can bring him back and ride him in the round pen just fine. I will probably work him like this for several days and at least try to get a steady trot and some softness to his face and then we'll move to an arena.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder how many people would have taken the time to figure that out about him, rather than just getting stuck on "you will work in the round pen first".

Very cool.

Cut-N-Jump said...

PROGRESS!!!!! YAY!!!

He is a good looking horse and I'm glad he is finally coming around for you. Not many people would have hung in there this long on a horse like him. Good luck to you both and I can't wait to see where he goes.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

The saving grace was that I knew his blow-up was pain related. I saw him working just days before he blew up and hurt the trainer and TOLD the trainer that the horse was obviously sore in the hocks and he needed to get him out of there and start doing some straight line work with him.

I just never dreamed he would physically fall apart the way he did afterward or that it would take this long to get him back. It's been quite a learning experience for me though. :-)

Madeline C. said...

All your hard work and patience is definitely coming together. Love seeing you guys figure each other out.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

well done!! you are an amazing gal I bet an awful lot of folks would have given up on that fellow a long time ago. Yay for you for sticking to it !

kestrel said...

Wow, that is quite the accomplishment! Congratulations.

C-ingspots said...

So glad to hear you're making progress with him. He's a nice looking horse.