Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Not So Bad

Back to riding, in the snow and the cold...


I love the tracks Moon makes in the snow...


Perfectly spaced zig-zags. The snow here is very dry and powdery. It almost looks fake. It's sufficiently deep that the horses aren't hitting the dirt...not that it would matter...Under all of this snow is perfectly dry and NOT frozen ground. We had no moisture to speak of when it snowed right before Christmas and the cold weather moved in at the same time as the snow...so the ground did not freeze and the snow has not melted. I guess you could say it's about as ideal to ride in as can be expected.

The hubby brought home a Sunday paper and I actually read through the ads as I was wadding them up to start the morning fire. Hmmm....seems January is the time to buy anything potentially related to tax time...(which means I need to load up on the yearly supply of paper/pens, etc)...and also fitness gear. Well, I have been wondering what I could do, besides riding to stay in shape while away from home.

I have a gym membership at home...but obviously am not going to want to be buying day memberships wherever I am, to keep going. I figured I could do a lot of walking and some jogging...typically I'm not a jogger/runner, too many problems with shin splints...but I still like to do a lot of target specific exercises too. Soooo....


I bought myself some new neon tennies and some mobile workout equipment. Last summer, MH brought me a flat-screen for the LQ. I finally got that mounted when I had the trailer serviced, so I went ahead and bought some exercise dvds to work out to as well. I'm set! ;-)



4 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

My daughter prefers to sit on one of those exercise balls at her desk in college. She rejects chairs. Part of it is that she says the balls are more comfortable and better for her back and abs, and part of it is that she has had so little space in her dorm rooms and apartment over the years that it's nice to just roll the ball under her desk and then do floor exercises. Both my kids are major fitness fanatics. My son is a licensed personal trainer.

Love that snow. Dry powder is something I could deal with. Its the wetness and ice that makes people crazy after a while. I'm glad you are feeling better and got to ride.

Cricket said...

That big new ball looks like the same one I purchased for my Arab to play with. I guess if you decide not to exercise at home, you could always let Moon try his hand. Or hoof, as the case may be.

Here is a link to some videos of my Arab playing with his ball.

http://theeashke.blogspot.com/2012/11/horse-soccer.html

It's pretty fun.

Crystal said...

I too exercise at home since it is way to far to get motivated to go to town to work out. I use my wii for a lot of it cause it makes you do it and keeps track. I see you got a Jillian Michael's video, good luck, I have a couple of hers and she makes you work hard!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Nice footing! I wish, we had a good hard freeze then a melt then a freeze so the snow is OK for footing but where it has been cleared its pretty slick