Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It Finally Arrived

While this was the worst buying experience I have had on Ebay...as it took the seller an entire month to get me my item...

It finally arrived...


(giggles)

I bought a dressage saddle. It's a Campbell for those of you are interested. Not super high quality, but nice, soft leather and it is in almost new condition. From what I could find, when these saddles sold new, they cost around $1,000. I picked this one up for under $200, so I don't think I can get hurt on it.

I, of course, immediately ran outside with it and started plopping it on the backs of different horses. The horses were less than impressed with the sight of such a strange contraption and were quite spooked about the idea of allowing that on their back. There was much rolling of the eyes and snorting. LOL

Sadly...I have NO IDEA if it actually fits anyone. I am woefully at a loss. Even though this is supposed to be a med/wide tree, it looks awfully narrow in the gullet to my 'western' eye. (Here we go with that problem again...)

I thought about taking pictures, but I think the best option is to simply get with the gal I am hoping to take lessons from and have her come over and we can go through the herd and she can show and tell me what I need to know.

I probably should have started lessons and got some actual working knowledge of the new-to-me discipline before splurging on a saddle, but... (shrugs)

As far as the dressage...it's more about learning the principles and correct techniques than it is about training a specific horse. I would like to start taking lessons once a week and will probably ride one of the instructor's lesson horses to start with. I just really want to have my own tack, so that as I learn, I can practice at home between lessons. So whoever the saddle fits (hopefully more than one)...will become the practice 'dummy'. (evil giggle)

Lordy...

That is just the tip of the iceberg this year though...







15 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

At that price if it doesn't fit you should be able to turn it around. Good luck sounds like lots of exciting plans

Trainwreck said...

Fun!! I love to watch dressage on TV and YouTube. Can't say I would be brave enough to try it... lol but looking forward to your adventures!! Keep us posted:)

SunnySD said...

Oooh! Ebay is wonderful (and addictive) - and that's a gorgeous saddle. Fernvalley01 is right - at that price, if things don't work out you won't have a problem getting your money back.

Looking forward to hearing about the lessons!

joycemocha said...

Gorgeous saddle!

I recommend a grounding in dressage. That said, I've also joined the Western Dressage association and we're forming a state chapter, so....

Basically, dressage is just training. Well, except for the rollkur and the crank and jerk competition crowd...but every discipline has their bad apples. But dressage focused on improving your horse's athleticism? Priceless.

Funder said...

PICS! PICS! I demand pics of you riding a "volunteer" in a dressage saddle! Are you gonna get saddle pads in your barrel colors?

Good buy. I agree with FV - if it really doesn't fit any of your horses, you can totally resell it and get something different.

Mikey said...

Very cool!! This is going to be interesting. I want to see pics of you riding in this saddle. Brings a smile to my face :)

Crystal said...

Hehe should be interesting! Last horse I put my English saddle on kept look at the tiny thing I put onhim, im sure he was thinking humans are crazy (again, lol).
Im sure its got to fit at least one horse of yours, cant wait to see pics!

kestrel said...

You are gonna love it! I started years ago, and it improved my riding like nothing else. Of course I grew up riding bareback, so dressage is just bareback with stirrups. Have a blast!

in2paints said...

I'm with Funder... we want pics!! It's always exciting to get something new to play with, and I hope it fits all your ponies! :)

Unknown said...

Hey that's a nice comfy ride! Dressage saddle or not I would take it in a heartbeat.

Cut-N-Jump said...

You aren't the only one buying stuff before you know if the horses will do it... I have 5 carts now and 4 harnesses and only the one pony to drive. Hi! My name is CNJ and I am an addict.

At first you will find your lower leg has a lot more freedom and 'swing' to it, but as Kestrel said, it's like riding bareback with stirrups.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Don't forget I have dibs to buy it from you if it doesn't fit anybody! I'm hoping it doesn't. OH! I mean I hope it does fit all of them!

Have fun with your dressage lessons! I'm hoping to start lessons next month, March at the latest.

-OS

And pics! We need pics! (If I were there, I'd help you determine fit and NOT fib that it didn't fit anyone).

Danielle Michelle said...

Yeah! I used to jump and keep my saddle for those times i feel like plopping it on the back of someone! English trees always look really narrow to me too but they do fit differently!

Have fun!!!

Chelsi said...

Oooooh Ahhh:) It is very puuurdy. You're going to love riding english! I sold my english about two months ago and miss is... wish I had thought to let you know about it as it had the adjustable gullet system (so can go from xxwide to narrow in like five minutes).

Enjoy!

Leah Fry said...

Seriously, you can't go wrong at that price. Every once in awhile, I like to ride English just to keep me on my toes.