Saturday, September 10, 2011

Finally Here

The long awaited arrival of my foal....f.i.n.a.l.l.y. happened.

Yea, yea I know....Three months after she was supposed to foal, my maiden mare, Beauty...


Dropped me, from what I hear, a spritely, healthy, BAY filly.

Huh...Who would have guessed another bay?

LMAO

I mean after all, momma is bay.

The daddy is bay...


*I* was hoping for black or dark brown. Not implausible. Due to the high percentage of black in the pedigree.

I guess she does have a bit of an oblong/teardrop white marking on her face.

NOW I can go home. I have been holding off because I wanted to see my foal...but I knew if the mare had not foaled by the end of this month, she was not going to. I be quite honest, I am fairly disgruntled at yet another late foal. In the grand scheme of things, it won't matter, because I do not do futurities or anything. It's the lack of management that is pissing me off.

However, she is here...and healthy.

This filly is a 3/4ths sister to Beretta...
(Please forgive this atrocious picture of Beretta...She really is not this ugly)
The new filly and Beretta share the same sire and their mothers are 1/2 sisters. The dams share the same sire (our old Lady Bug's Moon bred stallion). The only difference in bloodlines is how the dams are bred on the bottom. Beretta's mother was Leo and Sugar Bars bred on the bottom. The new filly's mother is King and Poco Pine on the bottom. Who knows if they end up growing up to look similar to each other or completely different.

Since the new girl was immediately distinguished as a bay, my hope is that she turns a similar dark bay as her older 1/2 brother (same sire), Shooter...


Shooter is now a 3y/o and when I go home, I will be bringing him back to Colorado with me and starting him under saddle. I can't wait to see him again. The above picture was from the fall of his yearling year. From what my mom says, he has turned into a strapping young man.

10 comments:

Shirley said...

Great! we'll be looking forward to lots of baby photos!

Mrs. Mom said...

You darn well BEST get us some Shooter pix up soon as you get him home woman!!!!!!!! And smack them hams from me please, OK? ;)


Congrats on the filly too!! Know you've been waiting on edge for her to get here. Cant wait to see her too!!!

Funder said...

Congrats! I hate to admit this but I had actually forgotten that Beauty was pregnant. :O She sure took her time! Love a bay, and love your stallion. Hope the filly looks good when you go to see her.

kestrel said...

Congrats! She sounds like a beautiful baby...and are ya SURE she'll be a bay?! Those baby hair colors can change, haha! Makes me laugh because I just love bays...and got everything but bay.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

WOw! that is late! Oh well she is here and healthy and all we need now is photos! That Shooter is a looker at a year, can't wait to see what he looks like now!

Vaquerogirl said...

Your babies are great looking. Can't wait to see new pictures of Shooter- YUMMY!
I personally LOVE Bay and buckskin horses!
Good luck with the new Bay-bee- what wonderful name have you come up with?

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Gonna need help with a 'girlish' gun-themed name. Got a Shooter, a Beretta and a Little 'big' Guns. I am thinking Belle Starr. After the female outlaw. What do you guys think?

Crystal said...

I forgot you were expecting a baby too! she wasnt in any sort of hurry was she! Cant wait to see the baby as well and growed up Shooter too!

in2paints said...

Congratulations!! I can't wait to see pictures of the baby and Shooter... I can't imagine he could get more handsome!

C-ingspots said...

Congratulations on a healthy, newborn foal!! No matter the color, you just cannot be anything but thankful at a beautiful baby's arrival...bay's my favorite color. :) Momma's pretty darned good looking too, and daddy's a handsome fellow. Guess the baby's gonna be a looker too!