Friday, April 8, 2011

I'm On A Roll Of...(Buzzer Sound) Wrong Answer!

I talked to the trainer yesterday...wanted to know how the big bay is doing...


He's always been a pretty easy horse to handle, likes people, didn't seem to freak out to easy, but....

I had never really pushed the horse to see how he handled pressure and I did know that every.single.time I gave him a bath last year he had to act like it was the first time. Which is actually why he got so many baths...

I kind of figured the big horse would be boogery to start with and get over it. He seems so sweet!


Well, all of that running blood of his...Mr. Race Runner, Dr. Kirk(by Easy Jet), Muscle Machine, Tonto Bars Gill, VooDoo Rocket(by Rocket Bar), Mr. Pierre Bar, Shawne Bug(by Lady Bug's Moon)....get the picture?

The horse is run, run, run and more run bred. I mean really, it would be almost impossible to get any more big name race horses packed into his pedigree.

That's his mentality too. OMG...That's scary...I'm going to run away!

Needless to say...Jet is struggling to find his inner self. Levi said it is a little frustrating because one day, he does pretty good, the next...Not so much. His mind seems to blank out and his instinct to run kicks in.

Yea well...I told Levi to just keep at it...if it takes 90 days to get him there instead of 60 days...it takes 90 days. I sure as heck don't want him coming home a runaway freight train. I'm too old for that crap!

If Levi wasn't the kind of trainer he is, I"m sure he could have forced the horse farther along by now, but he's not that way. He'll just keep plugging away until Jet finally learns how to think his way through things and stops being a drama queen. I think that will happen when the days start to get hot. It's amazing how much the heat takes the goofy out of horses.

8 comments:

in2paints said...

My mare has a lot of racing blood in her too... next time I'm looking past the adorable face before I fall in love!

Levi sounds like a great trainer, and if it takes longer, it takes longer. I think you'll have a great horse when he's done. :)

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Levi, has the right idea, don't push too far too fast ,it will just blow his mind. Big bay is a bit of a pistol huh?

Shirley said...

The end result will be worth the time and expense. He is one good lookin'horse, should be able to run holes in the wind with that pedigree.

GoLightly said...

Thanks for posting that pic of my bay again! He's got lots of run in him. Jump, too, I betcha! Glad Levi gets Jet, and will work with Jet until he gets it.

Dang, he's a nice lookin' harse..

Did that make sense?
probably not..

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

in2paints-My brother is fond of the Dr. Kirk horses. Had to have been the bloodline he wanted, cause this colt was god-awful UGLY when he bought him-LOL

fern-Apparently so-LOL. Problem is, he's big enough to think about jumping out of the round pen...or go through it. :-O

Shirley-Run, Yes! Not so sure there is any 'turn' there.

But, I guess since GL likes him...that means the English set would give him 2 thumbs up?? A definite Jumping prospect if he ends up being a barrel horse fail.

All I can say, is thank goodness he is the only one like this we have. Give me my squatty, little foundation bred horses...I'm much more comfortable with their mentality. ;-)

Rising Rainbow said...

It's hard when they don't seem to retain anything like that. Glad that Levi feels comfortable with dealing with him and is cool about taking his time. The end result should be awesome.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh I'm not the only one with a "hot" horse. Mine is Cal Bar/Genuine Doc, and she thinks she's a race horse. -sigh-

Unknown said...

Hmmmm bathing.... one of the reasons I don't do babies anymore. It always seemed like such a big freaking deal. So much drama for something so small...thank you for reminding me....

You're doing the right thing giving the trainer extra time, so many people would insist it be done at 60 days and then be pissed off at the results...

I just want to shake people and say "It's takes longer than 30 days to train a horse!! DUH!!!"