Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Highs And The Lows

It's been pretty awesome around here the last week or so.

I'm getting horses rode, teeth done, feet done, Bugs is going, Jet is next, the trainer even agreed to take our only 'bronc' and give him a 30 day whirl this winter.

If you've been reading for some time, I'm sure you remember Roan Dog...
He has been rechristened, Jake and Levi(I was given permission to use his full name;) said he would take him for a month and see what he could come up with.

After that, there are 2 more mares to send to Levi to get started and we will be all caught up on the shoulda-woulda-coulda's of the previous generation.

Myself, I have no problem starting the colts I have raised. I know these babies like the back of my hand.

On the down side, Mighty Mouse took a turn for the worse this last week and after several days I made the decision to put him down. I couldn't fight it anymore and neither could he. The only change that happened was a change in the weather. You just can't stop that and if it causes him misery...it was time. He was such a good pony and I will miss his gentle little nicker at feeding time. He was always so polite, but wanted to make sure you didn't forget him. Now, he can be pain free and eat all the green grass his little heart desires.

My last big fix-it projectm besides the fact that everyone needs more riding, is in the form of Spooks...
There is something going on with this horse's hind end that just isn't right. My last option-since I have already done the teeth, trimming on my own and chiro, is to take him to Turk's farrier and see what he thinks.

I'm ending up with more horses with shoes on than I have had in many, many years, but with access to someone who can actually improve and/or fix them, I'm not going to let the opportunity pass me by. In Spook's case, I think shoeing may be a short term project. After having been left sit for so many years, he has a lot of spread. A few good shoeing jobs and his feet will start coming back to where they need to be.

Now, if I had Mrs. Mom handy, I'm sure we could accomplish the same thing leaving him barefoot. Since that is not an option(darn it!), I'm going with the next best thing I can do for the horse.

Speaking of feet, we went from this...


To this...


To this...
On Turk's injured foot. See how much shallower the groove is? That damaged heel is dropping into place nicely. Progress, real progress!

His uninjured foot is actually looking darn near normal again as well...
The blowing out and flares are almost gone after only one shoeing. Turk is traveling square and sound. His muscles are starting to even out and he feels much more balanced when I am riding him. That of course, doesn't stop him from acting like a pig quite a bit of the time, but at least now, I can work on correcting his piggish behavior and not feel bad thinking he is doing it out of pain avoidance. Nope...just him being a pain. We are coming to terms though. Occasionally he tries to act decent and I still give him the benefit of a doubt knowing he still has a ways to go to figure out how to travel with all of his body parts working in unison.

9 comments:

Crystal said...

Im so sorry about Mighty mouse, pretty sad even if its the best decision.
You sound pretty busy around there, but stuff is getting done and Turks feet look way better!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Sorry to hear about Mighty Mouse, it's never easy .He has left you with your hands full though I see

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That is one good looking heel. I'm glad the recovery is going well. So sorry for your loss of Mighty Mouse.

Kristen said...

sorry to hear about Mighty Mouse.... sure do like that roan horse though!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

So sorry to hear about Mighty Mouse!! I know you did the right thing but it still tears at your heart!

Turks feet are looking tons better!! Can't wait to keep up on all this new stuff!!

Laura said...

So sorry to hear about little Mighty Mouse - you did the right thing but it is still a bit sad...

Good news about getting all the other horses going though! Keep us posted on their progress...

Dena said...

Condolences on the Mouse girlfriend.
And Congrats on getting caught up on the shoulda/woulda/coulda.

Danielle Michelle said...

Hey that foot looks great!

And that sorrel looks great!

Sorry about Mighty Mouse but I believe they are much happier somewhere out there, even if we aren't so much...

Mrs. Mom said...

You guys just keep in mind- that Mouse? He won't ever be far from you. After all, someone has got to keep an eye on you two chicks! Who better than the little dude who did just that for so many years? ;)

RIP Mouse- and know I'm still sending kisses your way old man.