Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Next Year's Mommas

My brother did get a couple of mares turned out with the stallion this year. One of them was my mare, Beauty...
This picture as taken when I was home in May. She already looks bred - LOL. Oh, the grass is green and thick back home in SD. All of the horses on the ranch are hog fat. Beauty is my other Lady Bug's Moon bred mare out of a daughter of our old King stallion. The only one that we have that carries the blood of both of our old stallions.

Originally, we had intended to breed one of my mom's mares...another mare I am excited to get a foal out of....but the roads were so crappy with all of the moisture that they never could get her hauled from mom's ranch into my ranch. She's on the 'next year' list. ;)

The other mare turned with the stallion is G...
I looked all over in my old posts for the pictures I had of this mare when I was showing her in halter. Oh, she is a stunner when she is fit and shiny. G is a bit lacking in the speed department, but has several full brothers and sisters who are quite fast, so genetically it is there. I'm sure crossing her on this stallion will produce foals with plenty of speed.

Interestingly enough, both mares are 1/2 sisters to Beretta's mom, Chunk...
Beauty and Chunk share the same sire. G and Chunk share the same dam.


And this is daddy...
Sire to Shooter, Beretta and Gunner, I do believe Pistol is nicking well with our mares. It's interesting how different all three foals are in shape, but they all share daddy's kind and interested disposition, learn quickly and seem to be real 'thinking' horses.

I have a feeling that G with produce a foal similar to Beretta...
As our original Leo mare seem to produce the same look with a good bit of consistently and that appears to have followed through to Beretta.

Beauty is going to be the big question mark. It remains to be seen if the Lady Bug's Moon blood produces some sort of consistent look. The original generation was all over the board, but they have all been fast.

You know, there is an old saying about breeding horses..."You never have to worry about a horse breeder committing suicide, as they are always looking forward to what might hit the ground next year." It's a sad statement, but ever so true.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, yesterday there was a guy here who looked at my 3 year olds. I commented that 2 were not what I had expected and he said "You really don't know what you're doing." I said "Hey, I was right about 4 of them!" Such a crap shoot, especially with new crosses (5 of these 6 were out of maiden mares). It does keep you going on, though! ~spotz58

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Good minded horses are great to have , although they are all different in look the fact that they get daddy's temperament is all good . I have a variety pack here too some years but both my old stallion and Cactus have helped produce some good stock with great minds. Actually some pretty damn decent stock. Looking forward to the next crop at your place.

Chelsi said...

LOL! Love that quote! This is my first year "expecting" and I certainly appreciate that sense of anticipation!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Great news to have gotten them bred! I really wanted to breed my black paint mare this year (we kept her open for this years crop) but as luck would have it we never got her moved to be bred :( Another 2 years to wait for a foal now!

I LOVED your old saying! SO true!!

Leah Fry said...

It's always exciting to see the latest crop of foals. Heather is pretty good at predicting what they'll look like, but when you're talking about horses carrying the LP gene, it's still a crap shoot. And then they seem to change completely several times before settling into their final color.

Melanie said...

Your horses are all so pretty and/or handsome. Sigh...I wish that I could find some like that around here. I want beauty and brains, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of beauty around here.

Is it too much to ask for a horse with nice conformation? : )

GoLightly said...

OMG, I wanna Pistol.

What a HUNK.

Gorgeous, BEC, they are all just gorgeous.

and so THIN. Please feed them;)

Rising Rainbow said...

Oh man!, BECG, all this talk about bloodlines in QH's is beginning to make sense to me. I actually recongize these horses you're talking about. LOL

Pretty sure what I know I learned from you so I guess that makes sense but it also tells how long I've been hanging out at your blog. LOL