Friday, October 23, 2009

Fabulous Friday

It's been one of those weeks where there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to get it all done...and yet...this has been a phenominally productive week. So much is falling into place and things are going to really start to come together.
I got an admin assistant hired for the office. A great gal! She's outgoing and up to date on a lot of the administative duties necessary for an oilfield company. Holy CRAP! I had no idea. Well, maybe a little bit of an idea, but there is even more than I knew about, so I was getting a little overwhelmed with doing the day to day stuff I did know, while trying to figure out all the stuff I didn't know...and need to.
Office politics, subterfuge and power plays have always amused me. I'm not even going to pretend that when I worked in the corporate world that I did not engage in a little politicing myself. How else does someone go from a temp worker in the shipping department, to a permanent position auditing loans, to closing loans, to processing loans, to processing commercial loans to reviewing multi-million dollar corporate appraisals and getting to sit in on official board meetings with the owner of the bank and his Sr. VP's while they listen to your opinion of those deals...all in 4 years? Yep! That was me. I politic well. But I never relied on subterfuge, used power plays or tried to blindside co-workers to get where I was going. I never had to. Most people do themselves in when they try to manipulate everyone around them and few ever make it beyond where they are. Success comes from doing what you do and doing it well and being a team player. I'm all about the team! Doesn't mean I don't take credit for the things I do, but I am also quite free with praise for someone else who does a good job too.

Well, we are not exactly a multi-level corporation. Pretty much everyone who works for us is in the position they will stay in as long as they want to stay with the company. As long as they do their job, they will have a job. We aren't out to grow a whole bunch more(equipment wise), no matter how much things pick up. What we have is all we can handle. Particularly if the sales people start coming through and units start floating around the U.S. Irregardless of the lack of potential growth, we have still had little bits of power plays and subterfuge within our little organization.

That has all been handled. One has effectively been booted out of any position of power and another is fixing to find out that whining about every single thing they have to do and how complicated it is means that each "job" they do will be reassigned until they have nothing left to do and ta-da...no more job. I'm not quite sure they realize exactly what just hit them....but that would be me and my awesome powers of cutting through the BS! These people wanted better communication? They got it!

A couple of the supervisors were in the office today and both were telling me how bad they had felt for me when they heard My Honey was having me come over and "help". We all had a good laugh at that, because now they fully understand why My Honey told them that he actually felt a little bit sorry for the troublemakers.

And now...that means I can get back to my horses. Which is exactly where I will be spending the rest of this afternoon and the glorious weekend. And people wondered what I was going to do with my time now that there is someone in the office on a regular basis. Sheez! I have horses. H.e.l.l.ooooooo!

9 comments:

Chelsi said...

Sounds like you are just the kind of woman needed in the corporate world...strong (not bitchy), direct (not bitchy) and able to take charge (not nag).

Do you find that women are more prone towards drama? And others are not able to take credit where credit is due or sell themselves a little where need be... or play the game and advance?

Love to hear your two bits on women in the corporate world!

Vaquerogirl said...

Got a job for me? Sounds like you and I could make a great team! Ahh but you are sooo far away- and it snows there- well never mind- I'll stay here- unemployed in sunny and warm California!

BTW- fantastic pictures- almost makes me want to go anyway...

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Horse Crazed-I think I could do a whole post on the ways women sabatoge themselves in the corporate/work environment. Men are just as gossipy and drama prone as women. Difference is the manly-males have no problem settling their differences with a few blows and once the alpha male has established himself, they settle down and all is good. Women hate to let anything go(real or perceived) and these new age metro-males are about the same. I have to say, one of the worst persons I ever had to work with was an openly gay guy who was petty and coneiving beyond any woman I have ever been around.

VG-That's my morning drive. The Colorado River runs parallel to I-70. It's so pretty. There is miles and miles of hiking/biking/horse trails just to the south of this area(Kokopelli Trailhead). I'm loading up ponies this weekend and going riding. Either there or the Adobe Mounds.

Kristen said...

I am sooo jealous! I live just off I-70... but on the other side of Kansas... the WORST part of I-70!!! Well no I take that back, Western KS is pretty miserable, but still.... you get my point!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

WOW you are a woman of many talents!!! I really love your attitude about the workforce, I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Leah Fry said...

I hate all the drama. Just yesterday some little pregnant bimbo went ballistic on me for insulting her. I had no idea what she was talking about. I don't care enough about her one way or another to insult her! Later, I finally realized what it was she took offense to. Turns out that she took something I said and turned it around to be about her. Wears me out. If I could make a living being a hermit, I would.

Flying Lily said...

"Awesome powers of cutting through BS" sounds pretty darn useful!! Enjoy your horsey weekend of riding in the beautiful fall weather.

Leah said...

Pictures are absolutely beautiful - I'd love to be there.... reminds me a little of our out west trips to Western North Dakota... and I could use you as a coach in my work place... I agree with Leah Fry - it would be wonderful if I could make a living not dealing with people (who never do anything wrong and the other team players who play the blame game!) Enjoy your weekend -

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That river is really awesome with the fall colors!

I used to bug my husband every year about moving to Grand Junction. I think if we could have found jobs we would have. It's so pretty up there!