Friday, May 1, 2009

Piece Of Cake

The leggy colt, VooDoo is going to be a piece of cake. I just rushed him and he reacted badly. My bad.

Him and I are coming to an understanding. He wants to be nice. He wants to please. I just have to remember I am working with a very green colt, not one of the older horses, who can sometimes be snotty, just cause.

He gave me both front feet with minimal resistance today and his hinds too. He's re-learning how to balance on three legs. I'll be back to trimming those feet in no time.

You can see from this picture how tall he is compared to everything else...


Looks like a TB doesn't he?...


Going to have a great hindend when he finishes filling out...


He and I went for a little walk today. Around the yard, past lots of very scary machinery and into unknown territory...for him. His shoulders wandered this way and that, but he followed along nicely...and he didn't spook at a single thing. He is a starer. Anything that caught his eye was cause to stop...stare....raise his head...lower his head...and then walk on. We worked on moving his hindquarters around and getting him to move his shoulders. He was not too sure about me leading him from the off side, but quickly he decided it made no difference.

Mom says he gives her vertigo looking up at him. Said she could not imagine having to reach that high to halter him. So I applied a tiny bit of pressure to his poll with the leadrope and we practiced haltering with his head by my knees. I asked mom if that was low enough or would she prefer his nose on the ground. She just shook her head. He is extremely soft and responsive to the slightest indication of pressure. Now this is the colt I remembered from last summer.

7 comments:

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Fantastic!!! He is gorgeous and oh so tall!!! How old, I think you have said but I forgot?? Of the pictures I have seen of your horses they are all so good looking!!! Keep them coming!! When is your foal due to hit the ground???

Paint Girl said...

Voodoo is looking good! He is very big! I am loving him!
Thank you for stopping by and leaving your sweet comment about Brandy! It has been a long road but worth every minute!

LuLo Designs/Blue Eyed Tango said...

He is very nice looking and does look like a TB. How tall is he now? I wish we could take ours out of the barnyard to introduce them to all the objects in our yard but we live too close to the road.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

VooDoo is a 4y/o. And right at 16.1Hands. I don't think he is done growing either. A tad on the tall side for his intended purpose.
My brother bought him as a weanling. He wanted his dam, but got outbid, so bought the foal at her side. He was a shaggy, pot-bellied little thing. Boy, was my mom pissed when she found out my brother had bought another colt and an ugly one to boot-hehe. But my brother has always wanted a Dr. Kirk bred horse to rope on. This was not exactly how we thought this colt would end up looking. A head horse he will never be-too tall, not going to be stout enough and he is a bit too refined.
Me, I never get discouraged when they grow up and aren't what you think they should have been. That is just part of breeding and raising. I see the show ring in this horse's future. He looks and moves like he would make a great rail(WP/HUS) horse. Since that isn't really our program, I'll get him going nicely and sell him to someone who will take him in the direction that best suits him.

CG-Chunk is due May 11-14th. Since she is a maiden mare...that really means..any day now.;) I just got her foaling pen ready, so just have to move her into the yard(at the river ranch) so she is alone when she foals. My brother lives on that property so he will be keeping an eye on her for me.

Mikey said...

I like him! He's a big lean machine :) He'll be a great horse when you're done with him :)

Pony Girl said...

Wow, he's a big boy! Lots of flashy potential there. Glad he had a good walk today. Sounds like you know just how to get to him. I love the pressure on the poll, I do that with my horse. He's pretty good, but could be better.

ezra_pandora said...

I love that name, VooDoo. He's huge. It's great to hear that he's going to be doing so much better than first though. Much different than the other post of not even being able to pick up his feet. The first thing my second trainer worked on me with was getting my horses head down. While we were walking, while we were standing, giving her treats, brushing her, etc. Now, when we are walking, I can barely tug the lead line down a fraction of an inch, or even say head down, and she instantly drops her head. Now, she's definitely not tall, but those dang horses sure can raise their heads up high no matter their size!! lol. And having her yield to the pressure is great with riding too because I barely have to use any pressure, I just start to close my hand around the reins and she insteantly drops her head. Keeping it there is another story, but we're working on it! lol