Monday, October 20, 2008

Those Supplements

I got a few inquiries about the White Lightening and the other products offered by Frank Lampley, so I am just going to post about it.

I've used several supplements over the years and can honestly say that only a few ever provided noticeable results. Those that provided marked improvements were probiotics. One was Fast-Track and the other I can't remember the name of...sorry. For a multi-vitamin, I always used Source, and liked it okay-it is priced reasonable and I used to notice an improvement in my horse's feet and manes and tails, but the last couple buckets I bought and used, I didn't notice that it helped at all.

So when my mom started recommending these vitamin and mineral supplements she had started using, I sort of balked. They were expensive and I was a single mom of one and supporting 4-5 horses in Arizona. Uhhh...yea...luxury items like these weren't in my budget. But my mom, being my mom, sent me packages of two of the products from Frank Lampley. One was a package of the Vita-Mix and the other was a container of White Lightening. I never had cause to use the White Lightening, but successfully used the Vita-Mix to cure Valley Fever in my little black dog, Ute. Had I had the stuff earlier, I would not have had to spend $600 in a vet bill when my vaccinated dog contracted Parvo. The vet said the only reason he survived was because he was vaccinated. Yes, that dog would be in now infamous Red Dog(Who is doing fine and is anxious to get back to work).

All I can tell you about is the products that we have used and had success with;

White Lightening-to be used in cases of trauma, colic, extreme stress, poisoning or snake bites. We have now used it to successfully cure 3 rattlesnake bite victims-2 horses and 1 dog. We have also used it to stop colic episodes and on my old mare, who I thought we would certainly lose to a difficult birth. We carry it with us religiously to horse shows-especially for Megan's paint gelding, who gets stressed and starts stretching out and urinating frequently during the shows. Two doses, 5 minutes apart and he is over his stress and back to showing.

Vita-Mix-to be used as an antibiotic to boost the immune system. We use it whenever a horse has a laceration or seems to be getting ill. I use it myself-love it. This is what I used to cure both my dog's Valley Fever and my own. Talk about a boost of energy. If I am dragging in the morning or afternoon, I put a 1/4 teaspoon in a gulp of grape or orange juice and swig it down. Within 15 minutes I am ready to go again. Too much and you get a nice red flush to your face and burning ears. Always take it with a bit of food-even a slice of toast works. Severely ill animals need the required dosage up to 6x's a day until you notice they are coming out of it-then you can back off. I gave it to my dog 6x's a day, but by the 3rd day, he was bouncing off the walls, so I worked my way back to 4x's a day with him, that he could handle. My aunt and uncle gave it to a very sick kitty and within a couple of days he was bouncing off the walls too. When Frosty cut his foot this summer, I only put him on it 2x's a day-he had no infection and I just wanted to keep it that way. This product is not to be used in the case of poisoning or venemous bites.

External Rub-A liquid liniment that is anti-bacterial and anti-inflammitory. I use this on sore muscles, strains, cuts and scratches. I use this on both my back and Megan's. Within a few minutes of rubbing it on-you can feel the muscles relaxing. Warning-this stuff stains clothing and does dry out your skin. Your hands will feel dry after using it. Simply washing them takes care of it though.

Wound Powder-I first used this yellow powder this summer on Frosty's wire cut. I doctored his foot every day for the first few days and then went to every other day. All I did was wash the cut with the hose until it was clean, pour some external rub in the cut-let that sit for a few minutes and then packed wound powder in the cut and bandaged. Not a trace of proud flesh until I tried to stretch it to 4 days. I went back to every other day and the proud flesh went away and he healed perfectly. I noticed the other day, you can barely tell where he was cut. I have used this in cuts on my hands-you know how sore they can get-put a bandaid on and within a day or two the cut is healed. I like it especially well, since it does not burn.


A-Z Vitamin Mix-This is a general vitamin compound intended to strengthen bones and improve digestion. I only feed this product to my old mare and my barrel horse. Lampley makes an A-Z for horses on grass hay and one for horses on alfalfa hay. By itself, I have not noticed that it makes a noticeable improvement, but it is essential to start the system working properly and keep it working. Of course, you guys have seen pictures of Shooter and he is very large for his age, but growing normally. I suspect that the A-Z is helping with that. I only feed it once a day.

Basic Mineral-Lampley says this can cure EPM. I have never been around a horse with EPM, so I don't know. He also says it is a natural de-wormer. I still de-worm my horses-just not as much. I only feed it once a day. I know that when I took my horses off of it, within a week I noticed a difference in their haircoat. It seemed rougher and coarse, so I put them back on it and in another week their hair was soft and shiny again. Manes and tails seem to grow better when the horses are on this product and aren't as apt to be brittle and break off. Can be fed by itself.

Formula W-this is for broodmares. I have used it on my old mare for a year now. She milked harder than she ever did in her youth. Shooter reflects that in his size. I may use it on our bred mares this spring before they foal and while they are nursing. But they are young and don't need it the entire pregnancy like my 24y/o did. Can be fed by itself.

Formula 7-a B-vitamin complex that aids in digestion. We don't usually feed this year around. We start feeding it during the mosquito season, because it is supposed to help the immune system to ward off West Nile. It helps digestion too. ***Here you go Mrs Mom*** We have a couple of geldings that have a tendency to not gain muscle along their backbone, although they are fat everywhere else. Putting them on just the Formula 7 helped that. This stuff is super inexpensive to feed too. A skinny teaspoon a day is all they need. During the fall, when West Nile is most prevelant in this area, we feed a rounded teaspoon. Can be fed by itself.

Bone Repair-I tried this on a crippled mare of mine and did not notice any results. However, I did not feed the A-Z Vitamin mix along with it and Frank said that is essential. I do want to try it this winter on my old mare, after I wean Shooter. She got kicked in the knee last summer and her knee got big and hard. I have noticed that it has gone down some and I think as long as I am feeding her the A-Z Vitamins, I might as well add the Bone Repair. We will see how it works.

Horse Sense-I fed this to Moon when he was walking all his weight off this spring. He was on it about 2 months and I really feel that it helped to calm him down. I have a feeling that there is something to Frank's theory that thyroid problems cause a lot of nervous habits in horses. But after Moon stopped walking constantly, he really started packing on the weight. If I remember correctly, Frank also told mom that this helps with ulcers, but don't quote me on that.

And last but not least;

Formula 49-this is for founder. I have never used this product, but mom has used it on a couple of her mares that grass foundered. She said it helped them a lot.

Yep-we have pretty much used everything in Frank Lampley's arsonal. But not all at the same time and most are only needed occasionally. The A-Z Vitamins are probably the single most expensive item to feed on a continuous basis-but I only have 2 horses on that, so it goes pretty far, especially since I only fed it the recommended 2x's a day for the first month and then backed off to once a day. The basic mineral, I also feed only once a day and still notice a difference in the horse's coats.

The actual feeding program consists of mostly prairie grass or crested wheat grass hay with some alfalfa mixed in it. We only grain once a day-this time of year. The two hard keepers get 1/2 coffee can(the bigger ones, not the little bitty ones) of beet pulp, 1/2 coffee can of either rolled or steamed, crimped oats(these are easier for horses with poor teeth or poor grinding action to digest) and a 1/2 can of senior horse complete feed pellets. The two easy keepers get 1/2 can of beet pulp shreds and a 1/2 can of triple cleaned oats. Everybody gets 1 cup of extruded soybean meal and Moon also gets 1 cup of stabilized ground flax. I tried feeding the flax to my old mare too-but it made her front legs swell up-too much of something for her system to handle. We add enough room temperature water to their grain to make sure the beet pulp is completely wet, stir it up and fight our way to the feed tubs-these guys do love their "slop". I know some people let their beet pulp soak, but we don't and have never had any problems. It don't take long for it to fluff up and get soft and even horses with no teeth can eat it within a few minutes of adding the water.

I hope that helps anyone looking for tried and true supplements or other stuff. I will warn you guys though...Frank has some political ideas that are...well, more extreme than most of us. But then, how many supplement companies can you call and talk to someone about what is going on with your horse and they will help you pick out feeds and products that work to the best advantage of your horse? So without further ado, here is the link to his products...franklampley.com. I see his price list is not there anymore, nor his online order form, but there is contact info and a contact form if you want him to send you some literature.

Oh, and I completely agree with him on the artificial Vitamin D being a leading cause of bone issues. After researching ADD and ADHD, artificial Vitamin D is a big factor for kids with these problems. That is the main reason we got away from using commercial feeds. We could not find a senior feed that does not have any added vitamins, so try to feed it as sparingly as possible.

13 comments:

Leah Fry said...

Thanks a lot. I am always interested in what other people feed and what supplements they use.

I won't go thru my list, but, like you, at first I noticed a difference with Source, but now, not so much. I am looking for something to replace it. The one thing I will say for it is that on it Poco lost weight and Jaz gained weight, yet they eat exactly the same thing. The Source label does say it has a "balancing" effect.

kdwhorses said...

Interesting post, thanks for sharing! I will have to check out his products!

Mrs. Mom said...

WOW!! Thank you BECG!! I saw a couple of products there that caught my eye.

The Bone Repair might come in handy for those knees and that hock of Sonny's too. And I know an OTTB that is in DIRE need of the calm em down and gain em weight one. D-I-R-E need.

THANK YOU!!!!

ezra_pandora said...

Very very interesting. Thank you for elaborating on those items. It's really nice to hear when someone does or specifically does NOT recommend something and why for everything. We always have trouble at our barn because A)the barn owner razzes everyone and thinks feeding anything besides just hay or grain is nonsense and we are gullible (but if we ask, he'll still feed it) and B)everyone who DOES use something extra, uses something different from the next person. It's nice to get a generalization. Especially with the vitamins and stuff for older horses. We have a 23ish year old mare who I think is getting arthritis in her legs because she's kind of stiff until she's warmed up really good. Formula 7 sounds interesting as she is like your geldings with no no muscle along their backbone, but chunky monkey everywhere else.

Question on the wound powder. My other mare had gotten big chunks taken out of the cannon bone part of her back legs when she was kicked by a shod horse and although it was like 3 years ago and they are healed up, there is a little bit of proud flesh that is still there and sticks up, not flush with her skin. If I scrape that off (yuck, but it crumbles off if you pick at it), would using that External Rub and Wound Powder still work on something like that? And if so, would it just be used like every other day or so?

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Ezra-I think the external rub and wound powder would help that if it is still crumbly. Sounds like a bit of fungal infection in there? I would scrub them clean, apply external rub-let set for a couple of minutes and dab wound powder on it-every day at first and then if it seems to be working in a couple-three days, then you could go to every other day.

For arthritic conditions, I still prefer to start by adding pure MSM, twice a day before I start adding other supplements. Pure MSM is fantastic for helping the system to clean out any inflammation in the joints or lungs-I have used it successfully on heaves too. Try that for 10 days and see if it helps-if it does, then adding a good joint lubrication supplement will help maintain her joints and prevent further degeneration.

Out of the 30 horses we have only 6 of them are on any sort of supplements. And those are on them for specific reasons. Of course it took a bit of convincing to get my mom to tone down the supplements. I would start riding a horse-he would be going good, she would supplement the hell out of him and pretty soon I had a fruitcake on my hands. I finally had to blow up at her and tell her if she wanted these horses bouncing off the walls-she was going to have to ride them...she stopped-LOL.

ezra_pandora said...

lol. Ok, I'll take the advice about not over supplementing. Neither of ours have ever been supplemented, but she's acting exactly like one of the other older horses in our barn, and he was much better once they started giving him some joint supplement, Finish Line I think. The thing about the mare is we got her as a rescue and I don't know what kind of life she lead, but overall she's in decent shape. So I will try the MSM for 10 days to see if that helps.

Do you re-rinse the wound powder each time you dab it on or just keep dabbing over the already applied stuff? I've asked the vet that comes out to the barn about the scarring and wound site and since my mare isn't a show horse (yet :) ), he doesn't say much and just says don't worry about it. But then he's not really personable and I don't think he likes us anyhow. lol Thanks for the advice. I will try that.

Callie said...

Sounds like great bunch workable supplements. I'm a firm believer in probiotics anyway!

Anonymous said...

This was very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to write that all out. We are feeding a blue grass hay right now, so i give the boys a small ration of Safe Choice, which was recommended by our trainer (the Cowboy). I also slip in a bit of a treat because they are such good boys. (Dont tell my daughter.)

Callie said...

I am really going to have to check some of these products out. I think the Vit B supplements are good for horses that stress out! Helps to calm. Am I right there?

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Ezra-I guess I would say to at least wipe the areas with a wet cloth to remove any debris or loose scabs and then reapply the medicines. I have used another product called "Prouds Off" that will literally eat proud flesh off. A person has to use care with it because it will eat up healthy tissue too. But I did use that on a gelding years ago that came with an old wire cut that had not healed well due to proud flesh. I washed the area well every day and reapplied until the crud was gone and healthy, pink tissue was there. Then I doctored with furicin until the hair grew back. That was long before I had ever used wound powder-but if your mare's scabs are not responding to the wound powder that is another option.

Callie-Lampley's Formula 7 is a concentrated B-vitamin product and he says not to use it on nervous horses. Instead we used the Horse Sense and that helped calm my gelding's nerves. According to Frank, most nervous horses are that way because of a thyroid problem(I think Ulcers has a lot to do with nerves too). The Horse Sense fixes the thyroid.
I don't have a lot of experience with nervous horses-my gelding, who I fed the Horse Sense too and he stopped pacing his weight off and the new black mare we got-and she has improved tremendously by just being kept in her own pen, but next to other horses. Most of her anxieties are food related. Now that she has had time to realize that she can be next to other horses, but she doesn't have to fight for her food, she has really come around.

Melanie said...

BEC-
Thanks for the info about this guy's products. I am going to go check them out now...well, in just a minute!!!

I am going to send another blogger over here, or at least tell her about the EPM stuff. He horse may be suffering from something like it, and she was told to put him on a diet for EPM ( I will be sure to credit YOU though!)

I am interested in the stuff that you also take...the Vita-Mix? Sounds like it is right up my alley!
Again...thanks for the info! :)

Anonymous said...

Very good site! I like it! Thanks!

Unknown said...

I just came across your blog today. I love Frank Lampley's Products!! I have used the Vitamix for years. It works wonders on sick animals.