Monday, July 21, 2008

4-H State and Some of My Art Work

We are off to the 4-H State Horse Show today-so won't "see" you all until Wednesday. Keep your fingers crossed for Megan and Strawberry. They would really like to come home with a Purple from State this year. Lucky for me all of her classes are on one day...It is always hot and humid at State. But I still remember my mom hauling me up there every year, so I cannot deny Miss Megan.

In the meantime-back when we were all "showing off" our blogging spaces, I mentioned all of my art supplies and Miss Pony Girl asked to see some of my artwork. I held off posting pictures of what I had because there is one in particular that I am very proud of, but it is at the ranch and I thought I would remember to get a picture of it to post. I never did remember, so I will have to post it another time. Click on any image to enlarge, if you want to see them better.

Elk and Wolves...
A monochromatic, acrylic painting from High School. I did this for my dad.

Irises...
A watercolor I did for my mom in High School. The only watercolor I ever did, that I like.

An oil Impressionism, from college...
All I can say about this one is that I like the colors. Impressionism isn't my "thing", but it was a required piece. Mom likes the colors too and hangs it in her spare bedroom-LOL.

A pencil...
One of my favorites, although I hate the framing job.

And another oil I started a couple of years ago...
I'll get it finished...eventually-LOL.

This piece was done by one of my stepmoms. Its a watercolor of my dad. The eagle feather is from his funeral...
I spent hours as a kid, watching my step-mom paint. She was fantastic. Of course, she ended up being one of the Top Ten Wildlife Artists in the world, so I guess she was a pretty good person to learn from. Her name was Lanford Monroe. Some of you guys may recognize her name from her equine statues that the Franklin Mint sold. They were always listed in the Western Horseman's.
High Fives to anyone who sees whats wrong with the picture. A hint-its not the artist's fault.

This is a watercolor my dad did back in the late 50's or early 60's. Mom can't remember exactly..
It pisses me off that I did not get his ability to work with watercolor. I love watercolor-just can't get it to look natural or "right".

These days, this is pretty much the extent of the "artwork" that I do...

That's not a tile floor. Its a wood floor that I painted to look like spanish tile. It's a 3-step, 5-color process, that is pretty easy, just time consuming.
My mom fought for years to get these old cement walls to look "nice"-like sheetrock walls. I used a 2-part, 2-color, wet on wet technique to bring out the "stucco" feel. I like it much better.

Hopefully, the talented Train Wreck thinks her beautiful print got a deserving home. I already have it's spot picked out-right next to my computer desk. I have to go back to RC this week, so will take it to a framer that Chris' mom knows. I'm pretty picky about getting my prints framed. I insist on acid-free matting and backing and non-glare glass, but the price's some places charge is beyond ridiculous. Hmmm...maybe I will have to look into learning how to do it myself??

11 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

Absolutely beautiful! I'd be proud to have any of them hanging in my home! ;)

No bonus points for me-- nothing looked wrong with them....

kdwhorses said...

I agree with Mrs. Mom! Just beautiful! I can't draw, I have a hard time with stick people! WHat a great talent you have!

Love the floor! Very cool!

No bonus points here either! Couldn't see the problem!!!

Good luck and look forward to hearing from your trip! Go Meagan and Strawberry!

Callie said...

Wow! Who a thunk! Beautiful! I dabble in acrylic and watercolor and pencil myself! Nice work!

Holly said...

waves frantically and shouts loud

GOOD LUCK MEGAN, KNOCK 'EM DEAD!

Our 4H round up is in August. The young lady who is leasing my mare may or may not make it out of that division into the next which is about a month later and I am fairly certain she will not make it out of there. But hopefully she will have fun anyway.

Mrs. Mom said...

Hey BECG!!! In the spirit of Mikey being back (YAAAAYY!!) I kicked you for a meme...

(What the h*ll does that have to do with Mikey being back? I kicked her too..hehehe)

Cant wait to see what ya come up with for us...hehehe

20 meter circle of life said...

Great artwork. I am glad you a finding a bit of time to do something for yourself.
Have a Kick Butt time at State. State Fair is a memory builder for sure!

Pony Girl said...

Wow BEC, you are a great artist! And the talent runs in the family! I love all of the work you featured, it is all unique and so different. I couldn't find a mistake on the art either? Except the horses front hooves weren't above any dirt, but wasn't sure if that was the artist's intent.

Can't wait to hear how the state fair goes, good luck to Megs! I know I really enjoyed my one fair experience (it wasn't state though.) I was SO nervous! Could barely eat a thing for days! :)

Andrea said...

You are amazing!! I love your paintings!! The one your step mother did is really neat too!! And wow, what you did to that floor, amazing!!
Good Luck Megan!!!

Anonymous said...

wow BEC - you and your whole family are just super super talented. Thanks for sharing your work.

Train Wreck said...

OK Now I feel silly!! Send the print back! You are an Artist? Ok Do not post my print and ask what's wrong with this picture! Pleeease! LOL! Try water color it is so forgiving! Really! It is a poor artists paint! If it dries out just add water!! Awesome work, I am a little sheepish now!!

sue said...

your pictures are truly amazing..... what a gift, I am glad that you are using it!!!!