Friday, April 4, 2008

Wild Thing is out

Meet "Wild Thing"...One of my favorite little toys.

A lime green and purple chainsaw!! Chris certainly knows the way to this woman's heart.
Wild Thing can turn this...

Into this...with the greatest of ease...

The drought we have had for the last 9-10 years has severely damaged the trees around our places. Chinese Elms know how to deal with this-they turn into bushes. So to push the growth back into the tops of the trees all of this bushy stuff has to be cut off. 95% of it is dead anyway. So today (after subbing again this morning) I began to tackle the trees. Two are done at mom's and I have started on the trees at home. I also managed to get the last two pickup loads of weeds hauled out of here and this evening Megan and I rode.
Rip was looking for his supper...

Silly horse...

At least I don't have to worry about the insomnia anymore. All I want is a hot shower and BED!!!

6 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

What a marketing device, hot colors and a name like "wild thing." Too funny. Looks like you a good job on that tree though.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

"Wild Thing" -- That chainsaw is definitely entertaining. You crack me up. I've got the perfect cure for insomnia, and no, it doesn't have anything to do with that chainsaw. I take blood pressure medication at night, which usually helps me sleep, but I've learned that exercising right before bed AND taking the blood pressure pill knocks me out so hard that not even the dog jumping on me can wake me up.

kdwhorses said...

Love the color and of course the name! Great job on the tree. He was hungry! LOL! My mare does that when she gets through eating!

Anonymous said...

omg, I am not even allowed near the weed-eater!

beautiful horse is :)

Callie said...

That is a silly horse! And how does the "wild thing" work anyway? Saw it advertised in TSC and thought about it at we have a few trees to tackle here as well!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Callie,
Safety first-always. I see people start their chainsaws by holding them with one hand and yanking the chain. Not me man-I like my legs attached. I always start mine on the ground. I make sure the blade is off the dirt, right hand on the handle, right foot in the back loop and pull the chain with my left hand.
When cutting something always make sure the blade is angled away from your body, so if it comes through the wood quicker than what you think the blade will swing by you not into you.
Don't cut anything over your head. And always stand so the branch falls away from you. Don't stand on ladders or buckets or anything that isn't solid.
If you need to cut higher-stand in the bucket of a tractor or rent one of those bucket lifts.
If you have to cut a branch or logs on the ground, make sure your wood is slightly raised so you don't run the blade into the ground and if it wants to roll make sure you put a foot on it to hold it steady. But, do not put your foot in the path of the blade.
I know-sounds scary, but I have seen so many near misses from people who just don't stop to think about where their body parts are in relation to where that blade is headed. But if you always think about the safety aspect of it-chainsaws are not difficult.
Finally, once you have cut enough to get the feel-you will feel when your chain is getting dull. Get it sharpened(Ace, your local Co-Op, etc). A lot of accidents happen when people are using a dull chain and have to apply extra pressure to make the cut and wham, the saw comes back and gets them in the foot or leg.
Happy whacking...LOL